Learn about steps for a healthier smile!
As recommended by the American Dental Association, visiting the dentist at least every six months is a great way to ensure you keep your smile healthy and free from disease and decay. But the real work happens behind the scenes, at home! Maintaining a healthy smile depends significantly on what is done at home between dental appointments. With proper home care habits, you can keep your teeth and gums healthy for a lifetime. Here at Distinctive Dentistry, our caring dental hygienists, along with Dr. Robert Gemmell and Dr. Ty Jaros will provide and recommend the proper care techniques that are unique to each individual. By following our tailored dental hygiene plan, our patients can keep their teeth and gums healthy throughout their lifetime.
What can be done at home to keep the smile healthy?
Below are a few recommendations for good home dental care as provided by our dental team here at Distinctive Dentistry:
- Brushing. Patients should use a soft-bristled toothbrush and gently brush all surfaces of the teeth and gums after every meal for approximately two minutes. For most individuals, it is best to use a fluoridated toothpaste. We have several different toothpaste formulas and brands that our dental hygienists and dentists recommend based upon each individual’s oral health condition.
- Flossing. Flossing the teeth should be done at least once a day and correctly to ensure the removal of food particles between the teeth that can contribute to the formation of disease and decay. Our dental hygiene team can educate patients on how to floss correctly to ensure it is safe and effective.
- Attention to your smile. Patients who notice any changes to their teeth or gums between their routine dental visits are encouraged to schedule an appointment with our dentists. Problems such as sores, bleeding, or inflammation may indicate a problem that requires assistance from a dental professional.
- Eating a proper diet. Patients should pay close attention to sugar consumption, as sugars can be especially harmful and contribute to the formation of disease and cavities. They should also eat a healthy diet with proper amounts of fruits and vegetables every day.
- Routine visits. Patients are recommended to visit the dentist every six months for a comprehensive evaluation and professional dental cleaning.
Call Distinctive Dentistry today
Dr. Robert Gemmell and Dr. Ty Jaros of Eugene OR are committed to ensuring patients take good care of their smiles both in the office and at home with proper home care techniques. The office is conveniently located at 1775 River Road and can be reached to schedule an appointment by calling (541) 255-1287.