Children’s dentistry services
Not every dentist is equipped to work with children. At Distinctive Dentistry, Dr. Robert Gemmell and Dr. Ty Jaros are trained and experienced in providing dental services to patients of all ages. If you are looking for a dentist who offers children’s dentistry, look no further! Our team is well trained and thoroughly enjoys working with children. We understand the importance of providing a positive dental experience from the very first dental visit and are dedicated to providing that!
When should my child visit the dentist?
It is advised that parents bring their children to the dentist before their first birthday or as soon as their first tooth erupts. Building this relationship with a child can help form a foundation of trust between the dental team and the child. That contributes to a healthier smile for life. After the first appointment, infants and children should visit their dentist every six months. These appointments include an evaluation, professional dental cleaning, and sometimes the application of fluoride or a sealant. Children and parents will also be advised of good oral hygiene habits to help keep the smile healthy between visits.
How can I protect my baby and child’s teeth from tooth decay and disease?
Below are several recommendations from Drs. Robert Gemmell and Ty Jaros regarding the best ways to maintain healthy smiles:
- Brush the teeth as soon as the first tooth erupts.
- Babies should avoid bottles before bed, which can lead to cavities.
- Wean your baby off bottles by their first birthday.
- Minimize the use of pacifiers to soothe your baby.
- Limit sugary foods and those high in acids that can contribute to tooth decay.
- Encourage children to brush and floss after every meal and teach them how to do so effectively.
- Schedule children for their routine dental visits
- If dental concerns arise, book an appointment with the dentist for further evaluation.
- Help children brush if they do not have the skill to do so effectively.
Is your child in need of a dental visit?
We are here when you need us and are accepting patients of all ages! Our practice is located at 1775 River Road and can be reached by calling (541) 255-1287.